I love testing my will power. Every year during the Lenten season I give up eating meat/go vegan for 40 days and 40 nights. I usually give up meat, but for the last few times years, I’ve gone vegan. It is a great way to fast for a little while, while detoxing, and it also saves money because the dietary restriction makes it harder to go out to eat. So it’s a win win in many ways.
It also allows me to be really creative. So far I’ve made: queso fundido, risotto, fettuccine with carbonara, mixed vegetable hash, and chocolate mousse/ice cream.
I think as part of my fasting, I will also post some of the recipes. So here is the first one:
Vegan chocolate mousse/ice cream
- 2 small ripe avocados
- 1 can coconut milk
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate powder
- 1/4 cup Patron coffee liqueur
- 1/4 cup Jim Beam bourbon
- 1/2 a can full of water
- Put all ingredients into the blender.
- Fill empty coconut milk can halfway with water. Stir and scrape to mix remaining coconut milk on sides of can.
- Add that to blender and blend until fluffy and smooth. Stop frequently to scrape sides and help incorp rate ingredients.
- Serve chilled as a mousse or serve frozen as ice cream.